John P. Hoyt; Pinzl.Studio@gmail.com
Completed Academic Degrees
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum Studies, University of Alberta, 1990
- MFA, Master of Fine Arts in Studio Art, University of California, (Davis) 1972
- MSPH, Master of Science with a major in Biostatistics, Loma Linda University, 1970
- BA, French, Loma Linda University, 1969
- Professor, Canadian University College (as of May 2015 known as Burman University), 1995-present, Art and Education (retired August 2019).
- Associate Professor, Canadian University College, 1980-1995, Art
- Teacher, Gitwe College, Rwanda, Africa, 1973-1979, Secondary Physics and Chemistry
- Sessional Instructor, University of California (Davis campus), 1971-1972
- Member: Alberta Society of Artists and Society of Northern Alberta Printmakers
- Gallery Representation: The Collector’s Gallery of Art, Calgary AB
- Salon 13. Group Show, Propeller Gallery, Toronto. January 2019.
- Pictures for an Exhibition: Celebrating 50 Years of Adventist Forum. Brandstater Art Gallery, La Sierra University (California USA). October, 2018; as documented in Spectrum Magazine, Volume 46, Issue 3, 2018. Several of my paintings were featured in this show, including The Mirror, The Penitence of Saint Pauline, and Saint Lyle Records his Dream of the Lady Marilyn.
- New Arrivals. Group show, The Collectors’ Gallery of Art, Calgary AB. May-June 2017.
- Featured as Artwork of the Week, The Collectors’ Gallery of Art, Calgary AB. May 3, 2017.
- Fire. Juried show sponsored by the Alberta Society of Artists. Edmonton, January/March 2017 and Calgary April/May 2017.
- The Collectors’ Gallery of Art, Calgary. On-going (gallery representation).
- Propeller 20/20: Propeller’s 20th Anniversary Retrospective Exhibition. Group show, Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts, Toronto. March/April 2016.
- Headlines. Juried show sponsored by the Alberta Society of Artists. Edmonton, January/February 2016 and Calgary March/April 2016.
- Open Image 2015 (CARFAC/Visual Arts Alberta). Group show. Calgary, Alberta. August-September 2015. (Two prints from my “Alice and the Sacred Herm” series were included in this show.)
- Alice and the Delphic Herm. Solo show. Gallery La Petite Mort, Ottawa, ON. November 2014.
- Summer Sizzler. Group show. Collectors’ Gallery, Calgary AB.
- Hit and Run. Group show. Gallery La Petite Mort, Ottawa, ON. March 2014.
- Mystic Pill. Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts, Toronto, ON. November 2012.
- Political Acts. Group show, Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts, Toronto, ON. July 2012.
- Group show, Angell Gallery, Toronto. March-April 2011.
- New Arrivals, group show. The Collector’s Gallery, Calgary, AB, April 2008
- Unusual Suspects, group show, Gallery One, Toronto, ON. March 2004.
- End of Lease, group show, Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, 2004.
- Ten, group show, Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, September 2003.
- Perpetual Bond, group show. Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, September 2002.
- Figured, group show. Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, September 2001.
- Perceptions, group show. Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, September 2000.
- Lost Saints, Forgotten Angels, solo show. Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, November 1999.
- Of Equal Significance, group show. Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, September 1999.
- Summer Group Work, group show. Art is Vital Gallery, Calgary, AB, May-June 1999.
- Paintings, Sculptures, Images, group show. Ann Nathan Gallery, Chicago, IL, February-March 1999.
Et cetera . . . I have shown in many similar venues over the past few decades.
- Reflections on Teacher Education & Indigenous Pedagogies Symposium; University of Calgary, Werklund School of Education: October 19, 2017).
- European Regional InSEA Conference, Aalto University, Helsinki (Finland): Scientific and Social Interventions in Art Education: June 21, 2018. (I presented a paper entitled Art: A Guide to the Dark Path at this conference.)
- Indigenous People and the Christian Faith: A New Way Forward; Concordia University, Edmonton (Alberta, Canada): May 2018.
In addition to the usual “academic” software (Microsoft Office, Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat, etc) I have a reasonable degree of fluency in a number of programs related more directly to the visual arts. Specifically, these include:
- Adobe Photoshop
- DAZ Studio (a 3D figure illustration application)
- Hexagon (an application for 3D modeling)
- Wordpress (website design – used for this website)
- Classes I have taught over the past few decades include studio art (ceramics, painting, design etc.), art history, and a few Education classes (Multicultural Education and Art Methods in particular).
- Practicum Supervision. I have spent much of the past two decades supervising practicum students in K-12 schools across Central Alberta.
Travel and Languages
- Fluent in French; I have studied numerous other languages including German, Spanish, Italian (Milan 2011) and Swahili (Nairobi 1976). I lived in Rwanda from 1973-79.
- Recent Visual arts-related travel includes Italy (2019), Scandinavia (2018), Spain, France, and Germany (2016), Germany/Austria/Hungary/ Czech Republic (2015); Germany/France (2013), Greece (2014, 2011 and 2012), Italy, Croatia, Finland, and Russia (2008-2010 and earlier). All travel takes a clear focus on the visual arts: museums, archaeological sites, and art galleries. I have extensive slide sets from each trip which I use in my art history courses.